POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Object Oriented POV code : Re: Object Oriented POV code Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Oriented POV code
From: Hughes, B
Date: 25 Feb 2004 01:20:51
Message: <403c3ec3$1@news.povray.org>
I heard Ken saying "average joe-blow" wasn't participating in this long
discussion, so I'm here.

"Christopher James Huff" <cja### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> make it easier for the programmer types to create extensions for POV
> (lens flares, for example), and make those extensions easier to use.

I guess it could be, if I followed any of this talk at all.

> in which case the result could be much faster and more efficient than
> the present parser. And remember that non-programmers do use the work
> that programming enthusiasts create. The main point of object
> orientation is to make it possible to have a simple way to use complex
> things, without caring about the guts.

Simple can be good, but... What I'm imagining happening is that a simple
sphere might look like:

ThisSphere.sphere {<1,2,3>,1}

And continued usage (adding a color for example):

ThisSphere.color {<0.1,0.2,0.3,1,0>}

Where MySphere remains defined but gets additional info attached to it. Or
all at once:

ThisSphere.sphere.color {<1,2,3>,1,<0.1,0.2,0.3,1,0>}

Then raytraced when only the name stands alone:

ThisSphere

And so it's difficult to think of doing this for evermore complicated
things. Am I on the wrong track to believe this way? Such as, perhaps, Ken
has too? Apologies if I've gone astray but I had to reread much of this
thread again and i still am unsure of the potential OO-like SDL has, good or
bad.

Bob H.